Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Homemade

So recently I've been at home more and able to make more and more things. I've started making homemade bread every week because it is so much cheaper than buying bread at the store. Then I decided yesterday to make homemade ice cream....which is so not cheaper. I got this amazing recipe and all the ingredients cost us about $5 for 1/2 gallon of ice cream! It turned out way good, but you would think that it would be much cheaper making homemade things. This isn't just for food as well. I started to make some things for the baby and me, like a nursing cover and a padding thing for her crib. Fabric is expensive! Here Walmart pulled all of their fabric off the shelves, so all we have is Joann's and on sale it is about $5 a yard! Since when did making things homemade cost more than buying them at the store? Well making things will just have to go to a hobby now and not a source of pinching our pennies.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Homemade bread is so much yummier than store bought bread. Doesn't Joann's have a discounted material section. I know I have gotten some material there that was pretty cheap. I would think that homemade baby crib bedding stuff would be cheaper because the nice stuff is usually $100 or more. Of course you could look on Craigslist to see if you could find good deals. That's how we got the bedding for Adalynn's crib. Good luck with these last weeks of preparation!

nicole said...

You're right...sometimes homemade is definitely NOT cheaper especially if you factor in the value of your time. But homemade can be much better in the way that you can make things healthier and/or customize exactly what you want. Glad you're having fun dabbling in it!